Working from home has become a hot topic among businesses in light of the global spread of Covid-19. Many workers have quickly had to adjust to working from home but how do they hit the ground running in this new working environment? My colleague Sheila Averbuch and I have been successfully running ENNclick remotely for the past 13 years. Here are our five tips for making remote working work for you.
· Set up a workstation: creating a dedicated area where you work from will help you to switch in and out of work mode as you move in and out of the space.
· Have a schedule: establishing a routine will ensure your work doesn’t overrun into your personal life.
· Get dressed: dressing appropriately helps you get into the mindset of working.
· Use the right tools: we use several tools to collaborate and keep in touch with each other and our clients. Our favourites are – Zoom for video calls, Trello for project management and Google Docs for collaborative working.
· Switch off: this is important but tricky. Having a schedule helps with this as does being strict with your finishing time.
While these five tips are not home working standards, they have helped us to collaborate and run a successful business remotely. Every person is different and will find their own way of working effectively from home. Some workers may thrive in this environment while others will miss the hubbub of an office or will need that extra push to maximise their productivity. Take the time to figure out what works for you and make use of the many excellent tools that support remote working.
Deirdre McArdle is a copywriter and content strategist with ENNclick.com, with offices in Edinburgh, Scotland and Cork, Ireland. We focus on delivering and managing high-quality content for PR and creative agencies, marketing managers and IT companies. A version of this article originally appeared on LinkedIn. Connect with Deirdre on LinkedIn